Sunday, February 16, 2014

A Meet and Greet

I think it's time you all came face to face with my chickens.



These pictures were taken in the summer, as you can probably tell. The white one's name is Snow White, the orange-gold one is Goldilocks, and the brown one is Gretel. I guess I named them all fairytale names because they seemed like they were from a fairytale when I got them as chicks. I had wanted them for so long, and after three months of chicken research, I finally had them, my three little chickens... or I guess you could say three little pigs, or three bears.





Now they lay eggs for me in the summer and they just turned a year old, so they're officially laying hens.
Soon I'll be milking a miniature cow and raising meat pigs if I have my way.
Beware: This blog is not for the lighthearted.
 

3 comments:

  1. Shame on you for raising pigs for slaughter! �� pigs have lives to and not one life is to be wasted! How would you like it I slaughtered all of your chickens? I am becoming a vegetarian! Humph.��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly, I know that both of us are animal lovers, and if you would like to become a complete vegetarian, that is your choice and I will not shame you. However, I think I may have beat you to it, even though I am not a true vegetarian. I only eat meat that I'm sure has had a good life, that's not from a factory farm. If I did raise a pig for meat I know that it would have a much happier life than your average bacon on a supermarket shelf, that's for sure. It may actually be better for animals as a whole to raise free-ranging meat, because everybody in the world is not going to stop eating meat, but we can discourage the factory farm example by buying or raising meat that has been locally raised and has been allowed to taste grass in its mouth and feel the sun on its back. Also, my chickens have become sort of pets to me, not thought of as meat, and I would not make the mistake of getting so attached to a pig destined for slaughter. One other thing: technically, almost every vegetable that you eat is a life taken, even though it is not a life with a brain, although I agree that plants and animals are quite different. I do not completely disagree with you or hate you because of it, and you are definitely entitled to your own opinions about meat. I certainly don't want to get in an argument with you.

    ReplyDelete