Saturday, April 5, 2014

Sorry!

I've been super busy lately with really boring stuff that you don't even want to hear about, so I haven't posted! EEK! I'm about to go antiquing, and if I have any luck I'll post on here with pictures of my finds. I'm looking for a nice bucket, since all I have to get feed and water to the chickens is a small plastic measuring cup. I don't want to buy new because for one, antiques are generally better quality than newer things, two, it's eco-friendly to get "new-to-you" items, and three, I love to imagine the story behind my stuff. It's amusing and amazing to wonder if a farmer with 500 acres once held this bucket with callused hands and lugged it up to his horses or sheep. This is why I love old stuff. I have an old hand wringer, which I keep forgetting to oil so I can't use it, but someday I hope that after I do my laundry by hand, with my small hand washer (that looks like a toilet plunger) I will wring the clothes quickly and efficiently with the old contraption. I have a cast iron skillet that I will soon cook on my wood stove with, probably making something in much the same way as someone before me, somebody like Ma in the Laura Ingalls Wilder series. It is so interesting to imagine the stories of these items that will likely live longer than myself. Anyway, I'm rambling, so I'm off to go look at old stuff.

2 comments:

  1. I love the Laura Ingalls series! My dad read the whole series to me! I was once Ma for Halloween. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. It's great. Have you tried "The Little House Cookbook"?

    ReplyDelete