Sunday, June 22, 2014

I Now Have a Beautiful Longbow!

This past week, I have been at a 1-week class in bow making. With only hand tools, we (the bowyers-in-training) transformed planks of wood, artificial sinew, and linen into a functioning bow, and we still had time after that to make an arrow, learn different kinds of draws, learn how to move stealthily in a forest, and have epic battles with foam arrows. Also, our main instructor was a kilt-wearing man. It was awesome. Wish I was as brave as a man wearing a kilt.
It was an intense week, all of it, but my main enemy was the rasp. I probably spent one full day in all just rasping and rasping and rasping some more. But seeing my bow strung and ready to use for the first time was so worth it.
Here is my bow. It is backed with linen and it isn't the prettiest bow ever made, but I love it all the same. Its name is Artemis. For those who don't know, Artemis in Greek mythology is the goddess of the moon and the hunt, and protector of baby animals. It's an appropriate name for a bow.

1 comment: