Saturday, May 3, 2014

Campines!

So, today, hopefully, if a certain Campine breeder happens to check her voicemails soon. For those readers unfamiliar with the breed, Campines are a breed of chicken almost bantam size, which means that they're about half the size of a normal chicken. Because of their small size they do tend to lay smaller eggs, but I'm figuring that I'll be able to eat these Campine eggs while still providing my regular egg customers with the eggs they're used to. I don't eat many eggs, so the size shouldn't be a problem. They are barred, which basically means they have stripes, and I believe that I will be getting Golden rather than Silver Campines. If you need some visuals, I'll have pictures up when I get the chickens.
By the way, I'm getting laying pullets (possibly hens) rather than chicks. Pullets are any female chicken under the age of  1 year.

2 comments:

  1. Aww, but I really like little baby chicks! They are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are, but it is very difficult to get accurately sexed chicks that are specialty breeds like Campines. And I don't think my neighbors would love a rooster, although I wouldn't mind one myself.

    ReplyDelete